Job Title: Director of Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Date: July 2, 2018
Spread the Word Nevada is dedicated to advancing early childhood literacy by placing books into the homes of children within Southern Nevada’s at-risk, low income communities. Through community collaboration, mentorship and family partnership programs, Spread the Word Nevada fosters reading and language development opportunities ultimately leading to brighter academic and economic futures for these children. We are dedicated to changing the lives of at-risk children, one book at a time.
As a senior level position, the Director of Operations will be responsible for the oversight of programs, volunteers, and warehouse functions of Spread the Word Nevada and will also provide leadership and support in administrative and financial activities that ensure an effective, streamlined operating environment. This position will play a key role in ensuring seamless team management and development, program delivery, quality control and evaluation of impact. The Director of Operations serves as a member of the management team along with the Executive Director, Development Director, and Marketing Director. This position directly supervises six staff: Office Manager, Program Manager – Washoe County, Books & Buddies Manager, Volunteer Manager, Breakfast with Books Manager, and Logistics Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate the development and maintenance of community-based partnerships with other organizations and individuals.
- Cultivate existing relationships with community partners with the goal of ensuring sufficient space and resources, and access to services.
- Serve as the key external face of program-related items in the community.
Team Management and Development:
- Manage and evaluate program, volunteer and warehouse direct reports.
- Meet with direct reports to develop ongoing growth opportunities that address experience and skill gaps.
- Establish and implement objective performance measurements across all sites to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for direct reports.
- Instill a sense of accountability among team members by modeling tight oversight of individual and organization performance standards.
- Recruit, hire, and oversee training and orientation of direct reports.
- Provide leadership and support to staff, share expertise, problem solve, and promote open communication and team work.
Program Operational Management:
- Monitor all programs and progress, making adjustments for maximum potential as required.
- Maximize synergies among program areas and warehouse.
- Establish consistent, objective program performance standards of accountability.
- Enhance and implement program policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with funding requirements.
- Monitor record keeping.
- Assist in preparation of program budget; monitor and stay within budget, increasing income and decreasing expenses when possible.
- Assist the Executive Director in annual organizational budget development.
- Support direct reports on creation and management of departmental budgets.
- Monitor coding of checks and invoices.
- Administer payroll and employee benefits.
- Ensure adequate and competitively priced organizational insurance.
- Oversee annual audit preparation and serve as a liaison with outside vendor.
- Provide program data to the management team and grant writer.
- Work with the senior management team and Office Manager to establish and refine policies, procedures and systems that will maximize efficiencies.
- Meet regularly with Executive Director to review program/volunteer/warehouse operations and outcomes, finances, and administration, recommending changes or solutions to issues and concerns.
- Attend regularly scheduled executive management meetings and committee meetings.
Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in program management and administration or related field
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in finance, financial management and budget development
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Windows software including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- College degree
- Use of reliable personal vehicle, valid auto insurance and valid driver’s license
Below are some of the skills and qualities a Director of Operations will exhibit:
- Collaborative mindset, taking initiative to create meaningful collaborations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to fostering teamwork
- Strong manager and leader
- Ability to delegate
- Strong project management skills
- Creative problem solving
Environmental Factors/Working Conditions:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by Team Members while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works in an office or school environment with varying noise levels
- May be required to work evenings and weekends on occasion
Medical coverage for employee
Paid Time Off
Send cover letter, salary requirements and résumé to: email@example.com by
July 23, 2018.
Spread the Word Nevada is an equal opportunity employer and encourages persons to apply regardless of their race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, religion, veteran status, national origin, age, handicap, disability, familial status, political affiliation or beliefs.
It is the policy of Spread the Word Nevada that all employees are employed at will of both the employee and Spread the Word Nevada.