Position Title: Books & Buddies Site Facilitator
Reports To: Books & Buddies Manager
Employment Status: Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $13.50-15.00/hour DOE
At Spread the Word Nevada, we are dedicated to advancing early childhood literacy by placing books into the homes of children within Nevada’s at-risk, low income communities. We are looking to hire one part-time Program Facilitator to fill immediate opening. The following shift is available:
• 4.5-hour shift, Monday – Thursday between 11:30 am – 4:00 pm for total of 18-20 hours per week
All serious Books and Buddies Site Facilitator candidates are encouraged to read through this entire posting before applying.
Spread the Word Nevada Overview
Spread the Word Nevada was formed in February 2001 by Co-Founders, Laurie Hartig and Lisa Habighorst.
Spread the Word Nevada is dedicated to advancing early childhood literacy by placing books into the homes of children within Nevada’s at-risk, low income communities. Through community collaboration, mentorship and family partnership programs, Spread the Word Nevada fosters reading and language development opportunities ultimately leading to brighter academic and economic futures for these children. We are dedicated to changing the lives of at-risk children, one book at a time.
Spread the Word Nevada has various programs that they support, coordinate and facilitate to advance childhood literacy. Programs include the Kids to Kids program, the Breakfast/Snack Time with Books program, the Books & Buddies program, the Books on Break program. Currently, the Organization’s programs are being implemented, supported and utilized throughout a continuously growing number of elementary schools throughout the Greater Las Vegas Valley and Washoe County, Nevada.
Currently, the Organization’s programs are being implemented, supported and utilized throughout a continuously growing number of elementary schools throughout the Greater Las Vegas Valley and Washoe County, Nevada.
We are Deeply Committed to Equity & Diversity
Spread the Word Nevada strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for children when their Program Directors, Managers, Facilitators, Coordinators and Volunteers reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Our employees agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment given their background and identity.
The Books and Buddies Site Facilitator oversees the daily operations of the Mentor Centers. The Books and Buddies program is a multi-generational reading program developed to improve the literacy skills of at-risk children by partnering them with volunteer mentors acting as reading companions. Working together, the Books and Buddies Site Facilitator, the volunteer and student, focus on improving the child’s reading proficiency, comprehension, and oral reading skills. Books & Buddies mentors provide the much-needed individualized attention that is not readily available within the classroom and, unfortunately, often absent from the child’s home environment.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Create and maintain a clean and engaging space for mentors and buddies.
• Organize and level all literacy materials and books at the school site.
• Display and utilize a variety of materials with mentors and buddies.
• Track, record and report program/mentor data for school site.
• Serve as liaison with school site personnel (teachers and facilitator).
• Follow all school site policies and procedures.
• Conduct a pre- and post-assessment of children participating.
• Assist in the training of mentors.
• Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of the Books and Buddies Manager or Director of Programs that are related to the fundamental aspects of the Books and Buddies Site Facilitator or related positions.
Education and/or Experience Requirements
• College degree preferred
• Basic knowledge of literacy development for elementary aged children
• Ability to reflect on and evaluate the site program, continually modifying as needed
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Must possess proficient ability to communicate in English in oral and written format
• The ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency
• Use of reliable personal vehicle, valid auto insurance and valid driver’s license
• May be required to work evenings and weekends on occasion
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid Nevada State Drivers’ License, proof of current automobile insurance and automobile registration
Below are some of the qualities a Books & Buddies Site Facilitator will exhibit:
• Passion for the mission and program
• Outgoing, positive, and energetic
• Ability to work with a variety of personalities
• Ability to think both independently and interdependently
• Strong organizational skills
• Motivated and flexible self-starter
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Team player
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand frequently; walk frequently; sit; use hands and fingers to point, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to excessive heat, wet and/or humid outside conditions. Due to working in the office, warehouse and/or school setting, the noise level in the environment is moderate to high, at times.
Paid holidays based on hours worked
401K plan available after six full months of employment
• Complete online application below
• Send resume to: Mary Nelson, Books and Buddies Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
• A background check will be conducted on the candidate selected for hire.
Posting Close Date: July 22, 2019
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee incumbent in this position. Scheduled hours may change based on business need. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.