Position Title: Program Assistant
Reports to: Volunteer Manager
Employment Status: Part-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Salary Range: $9.00 per hour
At Spread the Word Nevada, we are dedicated to advancing early childhood literacy by placing books into the homes of children within Nevada’s at-risk, low income communities. We are looking to hire a Program Assistant to fill immediate openings. The following shift:
Part Time Day Shift between the hours of 8:00 am – 4:00 pm for total hours of 20 hours per week with some evening ( 5-8 pm) and Saturdays
All serious Program Assistant candidates are encouraged to read through this entire posting before applying.
Spread the Word Nevada Overview
Spread the Word Nevada was formed in February 2001 by Co-Founders, Laurie Hartig and Lisa Habighorst.
Spread the Word Nevada is dedicated to advancing early childhood literacy by placing books into the homes of children within Nevada’s at-risk, low income communities. Through community collaboration, mentorship and family partnership programs, Spread the Word Nevada fosters reading and language development opportunities ultimately leading to brighter academic and economic futures for these children. We are dedicated to changing the lives of at-risk children, one book at a time.
Spread the Word Nevada has various programs that they support, coordinate and facilitate to advance childhood literacy. Programs include the Kids to Kids program, the Breakfast/Snack Time with Books program, the Books & Buddies program, the Books on Break program. Currently, the Organization’s programs are being implemented, supported and utilized throughout a continuously growing number of elementary schools throughout the Greater Las Vegas Valley and Washoe County, Nevada.
We are Deeply Committed to Equity & Diversity
Spread the Word Nevada strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for children when their Program Directors, Managers, Facilitators, Coordinators and Volunteers reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Our employees agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment given their background and identity.
The Program Assistant assists with all aspects of preparing books for distribution.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Facilitate book cleaning events.
• Speak in front of large groups of people.
• Interact with volunteers.
• Sort gently used books.
• Oversee the boxing of books for distribution.
• Pull books for distribution.
• Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of the Volunteer Manager that are related to the fundamental aspects of the Program Assistant or related positions.
Education and/or Experience Requirements
• High school diploma preferred
• If candidate is currently attending high school, candidate/employee must be at least 16 years of age
• Familiarity with children’s literature
• Effective in providing instruction to large groups of people
• Ability to use a pallet jack
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Must possess proficient ability to communicate in English in oral and written format
• Use of reliable personal vehicle, valid auto insurance and valid driver’s license
• May be required to work evenings and weekends on occasion
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid Nevada State Drivers’ License, proof of current automobile insurance and automobile registration
Below are some of the qualities a Program Assistant will exhibit:
• Outgoing, positive and energetic
• Ability to work with a variety of personalities
• Ability to work independently
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Team player
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand frequently; walk frequently; sit; use hands and fingers to point, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee is required to lift up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to excessive heat, wet and/or humid outside conditions. Due to working in the office, warehouse and/or school setting, the noise level in the environment is moderate to high, at times.
Paid holidays based on hours worked
401K plan available after six full months of employment
• Download and fill out application: Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF
• Send completed application and resume to: Debbie Sandusky, Volunteer Manager, Debbie@spreadthewordnevada.org
• A background check will be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
Posting Close Date: Open until filled
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.