Position Title: Program Facilitator 1
Reports to: Program Manager
Employment Status: Part-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Salary Range: $12.50-$15.00 per hour / DOE
At Spread the Word Nevada, we are dedicated to advancing early childhood literacy by placing books into the homes of children within Nevada’s at-risk, low-income communities. We are looking to hire a Program Facilitator 1 to fill immediate openings. The following shifts are available:
Shifts will include both:
School year (2019-2020): 2 – 2 1/2 hour shifts ~10 times per month in the morning between 6:30 am – 10:00 am and/or in the afternoon between 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm, Monday – Friday (varies depending on school sites) for total of ~25 hours per month (hours and shifts will increase in 2020-2021 school year).
Summer (2020): 4 shifts per week between 7:00 am – 1:00 pm (varies depending on community sites), Monday – Friday for total of 15-20 hours per week
All serious Program Facilitator 1 candidates are encouraged to read through this entire posting before applying.
Spread the Word Nevada Overview
Spread the Word Nevada was formed in February 2001 by Co-Founders, Laurie Hartig and Lisa Habighorst.
Spread the Word Nevada is dedicated to advancing early childhood literacy by placing books into the homes of children within Nevada’s at-risk, low income communities. Through community collaboration, mentorship and family partnership programs, Spread the Word Nevada fosters reading and language development opportunities ultimately leading to brighter academic and economic futures for these children. We are dedicated to changing the lives of at-risk children, one book at a time.
Spread the Word Nevada has various programs that they support, coordinate and facilitate to advance childhood literacy. Programs include the Kids to Kids program, the Breakfast/Snack Time with Books program, the Books & Buddies program, the Books on Break program. Currently, the Organization’s programs are being implemented, supported and utilized throughout a continuously growing number of elementary schools throughout the Greater Las Vegas Valley and Washoe County, Nevada.
We are Deeply Committed to Equity & Diversity
Spread the Word Nevada strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for children when their Program Directors, Managers, Facilitators, Coordinators and Volunteers reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Our employees agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment given their background and identity.
The Program Facilitator 1 conducts both Breakfast/Snack Time with Books (BWB/STWB) programs at school sites and Books on Break (BOB) programs at community based summer sites.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Facilitate Breakfast with Books/Snack Time with Books (BWB/STWB) program at assigned schools during the academic year.
- Facilitate Books on Break (BOB) program at assigned sites during the summer months (June-August).
- Communicate and interact with school/site administration and Program Manager.
- Track and report each site’s statistics.
- Substitute at additional BWB/STWB schools and/or BOB sites as needed.
- Attend all BWB/STWB and BOB staff meetings.
- Pick up program supplies prior to BWB/STWB events during the school year.
- Assist with loading BOB program supplies in van prior to each day’s assignments during the summer.
- Other duties related to the fundamental aspects of the Program Facilitator 1 role as assigned by Program Manager or Director of Programs.
Education and/or Experience Requirements
- High school diploma required
- Some public speaking experience preferred
- Proven skill in speaking comfortably to large groups
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficient ability to communicate in English both in oral and written format
- Use of reliable personal vehicle as needed, valid auto insurance and valid driver’s license
- Familiar with children’s literacy
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid Nevada State Drivers’ License, proof of current automobile insurance and automobile registration
Below are some of the qualities a Program Assistant will exhibit:
- Outgoing, positive and energetic
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities
- Ability to work independently
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Team player
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand frequently; walk frequently; sit; use hands and fingers to point, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee is required to lift up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to excessive heat, wet and/or humid outside conditions. Due to working in the office, warehouse and/or school setting, the noise level in the environment is moderate to high, at times.
In addition, the following condition will be required:
- Typical warehouse/delivery truck setting, diverse surroundings with unpredictable environments such as
- Paid holidays based on hours worked
- 401K plan available after three full months of employment
- Download and fill out application: Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF
- Send completed application and resume to: Mary Nelson, Program Manager, email@example.com
- A background check will be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
Posting Close Date: Open until filled
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.